Saturday, August 25, 2012

It’s raining, it’s pouring, the old man is snoring...


Oh hello, this song is constantly playing in my head because it rains quite often here. More correctly, it pours quite often here. But I love it because it brings the blazing temperature down a notch and for a moment I feel somewhat cool.

Today is Sunday here. A day for organizing, planning, and high hopes for a new week. Last week was rough. If you could take a peek in Ms. Williams classroom you might see the boys constantly at their friends desks, you might see the students mimicking every word I say, you might see hands lifted high with students shouting out, “teacher, teacher, I need help” (I’ve tried to tell them that the purpose of hands raised is so that they will be quiet). You might see me standing with my face to the chalkboard trying to cool down. Yes, classroom 16, you might make me a little crazy.

Thoughts have been flying around in my head like, “Am I really the best person to be teaching you?” “How will I ever teach you how to read if you won’t listen?” “Am I an awful person because my students can make me so angry?” I know, I know. These are little 7 and 8 year olds with cute little faces and innocent actions. That’s what I thought too but apparently they have the ability to make you feel angry, frustrated, and totally worn out.

They also have the ability to make you feel a deep love in your heart for them, deeper than I have ever known. This love comes from your troublesome child giving you a hug as they leave the classroom to go home, this love comes from the little girls drawing me pictures to hang on my wall, this love comes from them shouting out praise songs to Jesus. This loves comes from the God who placed me here with the purpose to love them. And in between loving them He also wants me to teach them.

The other student missionaries here have really helped me stay positive. We have grading parties with each other and that has become a time to swap stories of how we survive in our classrooms. I find myself cracking up at everybody’s stories because they are so similar to mine. Example: “ Sometimes I just go sit at my desk and make the students come up to me but then there are like 16 students surrounding my desk and I realize that was a bad idea…but I get to sit so whatever.” Oh my, how I laugh. I love these fellow workers with me. They are goofy and so encouraging.

When I am not teaching here, the group likes to have food parties. We have had pancake parties, frappacino parties, and fish parties. They are so much fun and the food is delicious. Seriously, we have some good food. There are quite a few of us SM’s all cramped into the boys little surf shack apartment but its great times.

I will forever say I am blessed to be here and have this experience. I find myself appreciating the beauty of this Island a lot. It really is gorgeous with the tall greener than green mountains and the rain clouds hovering them and with the splashes of red, pink, and orange flowers that cover these jungle trees. I wish you all could be here.

Thank you for reading and for your prayers. I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyss,
    I can tell God is truly using you for these kids. I know that sometimes it can be hard, but remember why you are there. As the year goes, your classroom life will get better. Your old Dad could not be prouder. I love you!!!
    I have enjoyed the pictures on FB. It looks like you and the others are having a wonderful time. We are constantly praying for you and your co-teachers and of course the students too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyssa, Love your blog stories!! I love your honesty and your humor. Those two things along with your faith in God will help you get through the year and have fun doing it! Love you bunches. You remain as always in our thoughts every day and our prayers.

    Love and hugs, mom

    ReplyDelete