Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bundles of joy, oodles of pain.

Hi everybody! I am happy to write to you all again and I hope all is well with you.

 I can proudly say that Tuesday and Thursday I had successful days in the classroom (Wednesday I might have wanted to scream into a pillow). I was able to keep my kids silent (most of the time) and I think I might have actually taught them something. Score. There may of even been a moment where I thought I could do this as a profession, it passed quickly though.

I see crazy things being a teacher in the classroom people. Crazy, mostly inappropriate things. I have students coming up to me with mouths full of rice trying to tell me why another student is misbehaving. I tell kids to go change their card for cussing if they messed up a problem. I also walked into the bathroom to find a little boys pants and underwear on the floor. I don't even want to know what that was about. And sometimes I just let stuff go and laugh because I would explode if I had to deal with every single case. 

My heart just goes out to my little bundles of joy and oodles pain(lets be honest). Today, I had one of my little girls bring me flowers that she had picked from her house. I also witnessed a "cha-ching" moment for one of my little boys that struggles with math. I read with groups of four while the other students read independently. By the way, I have pretty much mastered the whole watch everyone while reading a book thing. I now know why they say moms have eyes in the back of their heads. Teachers do too. 

Besides being a teacher, I am also going to be a certified scuba diver pretty soon! Oh boy am I excited. I went on my first dive last Sunday and I feel in love. I was pretty nervous about the whole thing. There's just so much equipment and gadgets of sorts its intimidating. But going 70 ft under water is way too cool. The place we dived didn't really have anything to cool to see( I know, hard to believe with being on an island and everything) but it was a secluded place perfect for learning. 

I am getting into my routine here. It's a good thing and a bad thing. I know what to expect but now the "honeymoon" phase is over. I love Monday and Thursday shopping days because it is a chance to get off campus and see different people. Speaking of seeing people, I think I know what it feels like to live in a small town. I am starting to recognize a lot of the people that I see at the stores here. I made friends with an older hippy fellow. Him and his wife left America on a sailboat not sure where they were headed and they ended up here. So cool. I really do enjoy the people here.

There are still so many stories to share but I am happy to share this much with you. I want to give a big shout out to my mom and the Berrios'! Thank you for your packages. I loved them. It seriously feels like Christmas when packages are delivered here and food is much appreciated. Please comment if you wish, if not, thanks for reading and I hope you are making time for adventures in America or wherever you are.

Much love from Pohnpei :)


4 comments:

  1. Alysita, your stories are so funny, you really have to write a book....keep going you are an inspiration for the kids and they will learn much from you. So cool that you will be a certified Scuba Diver, Orvil is excited..he said "you and me girl will scuba dive one day together..Hawaii, Puerto Rico, who knows!" Be careful and be safe...70 ft is way to deep for a first dive...you were at 2 1/2 atmospheres, and that is to deep (this is Daddy O talking)...we love you, glad you got the package. Another one in few Weeks...Love, Mercy & Daddy O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyssie, LOVE your stories as always! Can't wait to see a picture of these beautiful kids. We pray for you and them constantly. What a blessing you are to them. Glad you enjoyed the package. Another one is on the way! Love and hugs,

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friend I love you ever so much. I'm finally caught up with all of your posts. I am so excited for all the things God is doing in your life. It's awesome that you can see the ways He is moving in your life and also awesome that you are LETTING Him. That's the key. Liss I miss you so much and trust me, I will be keeping up with your blog from now on. :) I send you lots of love.

    Caty <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alyssa - this is Mike Higa from Bonita Church. Your dad told me about your blog today. I'm really glad you are having a great experience. Looks like your kids are really keeping you on your toes, eh?

    I have a little SCUBA diving tip for you: Next time you go deep (I'm surprised they took you deeper than 30'), take a flashlight with you. Anything beyond 30' typically becomes very dull as bright colors start fading in deep waters. But once you turn on your flashlight, the underwater world will be totally different! You'll see all of the vibrant colors and your diving experience will change dramatically.

    As for your classroom – let God be your flashlight so you can discover all of the vibrant personalities of your students!!

    ReplyDelete