Thursday, August 2, 2012

Alas we meet!

Hello family and friends and anyone else that might be reading this little blog of mine. I hope all is well in the States! I made it to Pohnpei so lets get this blog going!

Yesterday I left Hawaii at 6:30a.m and we stopped on two islands before landing on Pohnpei. Let me tell you Pohnpei is HUGE compared to Majuro and Kwajalein. Flying into to Pohnpei was the prettiest sight I have seen. We landed and were greeted with pretty head lei's made by the local ladies from our school.

When we arrived on campus we chose our apartments. I walked around the campus a bit and saw my second grade classroom. oh boy I am excited to get in there and teach! Everything is greener than you can imagine and wetter than you probably want to imagine. The humidity just does a whole body slam with you.
View from my apartment
The school provided us with a delicious dinner of fish, rice, curries, and all the fruit you can think of. YUM. After that we quickly loaded up the two school trucks to go jump in a river and cool off. Let me pause here and talk about these trucks. They are so much fun! They have long tailgates so pretty much everyone sits in the back. Imagine the breeze blowing through your hair, you are bouncing around from the rough roads, and the green trees with vibrant colors of flowers are being passed by. I wish you all could experience this! (one of them is also a yellow stick shift so I won't miss my truck back home too terribly).
I love this baby!
The river had a gorgeous, powerful waterfall. You know the infomercials with that small pool that sends out water and keeps you swimming in place? well thats what this reminded me of. The waterfall was so strong that you really had to swim hard to get up under it. But I did and it was kinda awesome.
I so wish you all could see Pohnpei in person! It is just a beautiful island with beautiful people living on it. I cannot believe this is where I will be living for the next 10 months! God has blessed me in so many ways already. I am anxious to start teaching and meet all of the kids. Thank you for your prayers and stop in to say hello if you wish :)


Much love.








10 comments:

  1. Aaah!! You're actually there and starting your crazy adventure! It's going to be an awesome and life-changing 10 months I am positive. It looks absolutely gorgeous there. Can't wait to keep reading your blogs and seeing pictures!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lyss...looks about like the most amazing place to spend the next ten months. Great scenery, great food, great people, and great opportunities to impact. I'd say God has blessed!! And seriously, I would love to get behind the wheel of that yellow truck. Looks like a blast! Super excited for you and glad to hear you made it safely.

    Blessings,

    A happy for his sister brother

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful! Glad you are loving it. Love the head lei. That was so sweet of them to make those for everyone. Take an extra swim in that amazing water fall for us. We are very excited for you. God is good and is going to bless you abundantly. We are looking forward to the blogs so keep them up.

    Love,

    Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Sabbath Alyssita:
    We are sooo proud of you! I hope you don't mind but we see you a our little girl. We are amazed at the faithful, loving young lady you have become. We look forward to seeing and hearing the many ways God will use you for His work. Not only there, but everywhere you go. You are and always will be in our prayers. Have tons of fun and know you are loved Big and not just by me.
    M & O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again sweetie:
    Your Mom and Dad will be here shortly, I don't know what time is over there, but we would love to skpe, if you can. Please let me know. Miss you lots, hope to see you soon, at least on skype.

    M & O

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I got it right, this is just a test...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments! I am so happy to hear from y'all:) and I already miss you. Wish you could be here with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. alyssa!!! the island is beautiful!!!! i know that God will use you in incredible ways this year. you are always going to be in my prayers!!

    ps i was looking through your pictures on facebook... stalking... and i noticed your there with one of my boyfriend's good friends joran boyer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. steph!! I miss you like islanders miss their coconuts ( i don't know..first thing that came to mind)! I'm so happy you found my blog:) and thank you for your prayers!

      Thats super cool that you know Joran( or your boyfriend does) haha I love the small Adventist world!

      Delete
  9. Liss! Sounds like you are already having so much fun! Let the adventures begin! I am so excited for you, you are going to have such an amazing experience over there. I can't wait to continue reading throughout these next ten months! I would love to see a picture of your classroom once you have it all set up! Anyways I already miss you! Oh and your picture and comment about the yellow truck made me smile :) Good luck as you start teaching and hopefully we can skype sometime soon because I would love to hear all about it!
    -Liv

    ReplyDelete