Sunday, October 7, 2012

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful...

But these Christmas lights are quite delightful. Oh hello blog family, I thought I would take a little break from grading and update you on my island life. It's raining, the Christmas lights are on, and my soft folk music is playing. So get cozy and enjoy.

This last Monday was a great day. It rained ALL day people. Like nonstop. Now it rains everyday on this pretty island, but the rain is usually scattered and the sun comes out often. On this particular day the sun decided to stay hidden. So I decided to take out a sweater, drink some hot coco, and play Christmas music(Yes, I am one of those people). I love the feeling of being cozy and it was a feeling that was long past due. My kids decided to be angel students too. Monday you were surprisingly good to me. Tuesday through Friday you were not. 

The rest of the week was tough in every way. The constant rain continued all week and I missed my sunshine dearly. My students were loud and disrespectful. I had moments in the classroom where I felt mean and frustrated.  Worst of all, I missed home. There are so many changes that are happening back at home and I want to be apart of them. Before coming out to Pohnpei I asked God to make this year a challenge for me. I have heard that being a student missionary will change you and that is exactly what I wanted. Praying that prayer is scary because you're asking for a hard time. God has told us that trials will strengthen us and that is what I need at this point in my life. I am believer that this world we live in is a lukewarm world filled with people living in grey.  I am a believer that Jesus is coming soon and we need to make a choice.

God has answered my prayers. Not in the way I thought He would, but I trust Him. I am learning that I must seek Him wherever I am. Let me tell you people that it doesn't matter where you are in the world, you must seek God. It is more of a challenge than I expected it to be. So I like to tell you all the funny stories and happy times here on Pohnpei, but there are times when I wish I didn't have 17 students education in my hands. That is the beauty of trials because I already feel like a stronger person and I love my kids with all my heart. 

Anywho,  I went scuba diving today. My first dive we had to jump off the edge of a wall into the water with all our gear. It was so heavy! We went 60 feet and quite honestly I felt like I was going to die. Every time I breathed in, water came in too. I don't think that is suppose to happen. I made it though and the second dive was much more successful. It really is fun when the gear decides to work properly. We also had Mrs. V's(a teacher here) 60th birthday party. They are the cutest Filipino family and we karaoked like there was no tomorrow!

 I forgot to mention that I am in charge of the school Christmas play! It is a big deal. The high school students will be acting and elementary will be singing throughout it. I decided to do the Charlie Brown Christmas play(most of them haven't heard of it). I am so very excited to take on this huge task. Let me know if you have any suggestions! 

Monday has come around once again and so I have to be going. Thank you for reading. I really enjoy writing to you all in this little blog of mine. I hope you are all doing wonderfully. Remember to find little joys throughout your days and seek God. Please pray for me and my class of 17 rascals. 

Oh and I would like to say a special hello to my mom, dad, brother and sister-in-law. I can't wait to live together in Tennessee. I feel so blessed to have you guys as family. Love you!

Much love from the Island. 






5 comments:

  1. Lyss, I really liked this post. I can see the change already that has happened in the first 70 days of your mission trip. Yes, I am counting the days. Even though I encouraged you to do this I do miss you terribly.

    Hot coco and Christmas music. This doesn't surprize me. You have a lot of you Mom in you. That is a reason why I love the both of you so much.

    I am excited for you about the Christmas play. You will do a great job. The Charley Brown Christmas is one of my favorites.

    We all enjoy reading your post. So keep up the good work. Love you girl!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello to you Lyssie! This blog makes me want to curl up in a blanket next to you with a cup of Chai:) And bring Christmas on!!

    God is with you. I can see Him working in you and through you. Thank Him for the hard days because, like the rain, they do help you to grow in Him and to depend on Him.

    Let me know if there is any thing you need for the play that we can send you. Wish we could be there to see it!! You will be an awesome director!!

    Love you bunches:)

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww well hello to you too! I really liked this post too. I like all of them, but I love the idea you brought out that we should all seek God out where we are.
    Of course you would be listening to Christmas music already! And wow, in charge of the Christmas play - that's way exciting! I guess that gives you the right to get in the Christmas spirit a little early.
    We all miss you mucho and I'm so so excited for when we all live in TN too! Hope you have a great week, we pray for you and your kiddos all the time.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alyssita:
    We are so happy for you. You and the kids/students are always in our prayers. Make sure you test your diving equipment thoroughly before diving. Praise God for your growth in Christ and stand by for more.
    Mercy send you a little something, you should be getting it soon.
    We miss you a lot and so do your parents, yet we want you to continue to receive God's blessings as you reflect Christ to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been listening to christmas music in my office too!!! What Dad doesn't want to admit is that us loving all this Christmas stuff is a little bit of him in us too. His humbug days are over. Glad to hear its been tough for you. If you were finding that teaching 17 little ones was a walk in the park, than something would have gone wrong. But I agree with what you're saying here. Sometimes we need to be in those situations where we feel totally inadequate to do God's work. When we come out on the other end successful, we know its only because of Him and its a huge growing experience. I miss you lyss. Super exicted to hear how the play goes. It reminds me of Mrs. Miracle...jumping in and directing a play. Keep your courage high. Don't worry about missing anything here, they'll be plenty to be a part of when you get back. Just remember your where God wants you and because of that your life is have eternal impact on others. Praying for you, love you.

    Nolan

    ReplyDelete